Friday, July 15, 2011

The Mixer and me

The mixer (please see blog post on May 2nd for background) and I began our relationship yesterday..... we did the dance and got to know each other....

Many baking recipes begin with the beating of butter and sugar to form a creamy base.   This is painful by hand, and sloppy with a hand mixer.   Yesterday, it was a thing of beauty.   I watched in awe, through 4 batches of blueberry muffins, as my Kitchen Aid performed miracles with butter and sugar.  Light and airy and very smooth.  I was thrilled.

I learned to attach and detach the blade, and to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl on a regular basis.   I am still a bit befuddled on the process of adding flour, and eventually (by batch #4) decided it was easier to stop the machine, lift the blade, and add the flour rather than try to add it during the processing and having it fly around the room.   I did try the plastic ring which is supposed to help you when adding ingredients  but it seemed to take too long when adding flour.    Liquids were easy.

There is more to learn about my new friend.   And I am very excited about the prospect of making some bread!  

I count today as a success.    46 blueberry muffins (two consumed for taste tests) for the dining center at church.    Our guests at the dining center are an extremely appreciative group, so it's fun to bake for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment